Boston College Essay Prompts 2018-19
Listed below are the essay prompts for incoming freshman students.
1. Common App essay (650 words max)
2. We would like to get a better sense of you. Please respond to one of the following prompts: (400 word limit)
- Great art evokes a sense of wonder. It nourishes the mind and spirit. Is there a particular song, poem, speech, or novel from which you have drawn insight or inspiration?
- When you choose a college, you will join a new community of people who have different backgrounds, experiences, and stories. What is it about your background, your experiences, or your story, that will enrich Boston College’s community?
- Boston College strives to provide an undergraduate learning experience emphasizing the liberal arts, quality teaching, personal formation, and engagement of critical issues. If you had the opportunity to create your own college course, what enduring question or contemporary problem would you address and why?
- Jesuit education considers the liberal arts a pathway to intellectual growth and character formation. What beliefs and values inform your decisions and actions today, and how will Boston College assist you in becoming a person who thinks and acts for the common good?
*College essay prompts were compiled from university websites, the Common Application, and the Coalition Application. Essay prompts are subject to change and we encourage students and families to confirm all essay prompts with the institution.
“College Transitions was responsive, establishing a great rapport with our son, and keeping the process moving in a friendly and helpful way...fine tuning the essays, error checking he applications, and available to answer panicked questions almost around the clock. Sam was accepted into his first choice, The University of Chicago, a school that had seemed out of reach at the beginning of the process.”
Susan Hayes, New York, NY
Son Attending University of Chicago
"All the stress and anxiety I had about the college application process was significantly relieved by the guidance and expertise over at College Transitions...I can now say I'm at the school of my dreams..their service far exceeded my expectations and I am extremely glad and fortunate that I came across them."
Paul Yousef, Vienna, VA
Attending Notre Dame University
"As an only child with parents who never attended college in America, I was completely frightened of the college admissions process. However, College Transitions immediately settled my fears and supported me through every aspect of that process...-I just got back from Bulldog Days at Yale, and I still cannot believe that I was accepted. Thanks to your help, I got to see my dream come true."
Amanda Zhang, Atlanta, GA
Attending Yale University
"Our daughter was dreading the admissions process before we signed on with CT, but her and our fears were quickly laid to rest ...our team was always available and helped us to organize everything..in the end, Katy was admitted into several top colleges WITH merit aid. We couldn't be happier!"
Daughter attending USC