Top Finance Colleges
As a finance major, you’ll learn everything there is to know about stocks, bonds, securities, and commodities with an eye toward developing a comprehensive understanding of global financial markets. At many schools, you may choose from among a host of specialty areas within the finance major. Fordham University offers concentrations in Value Investing and Alternative Investments. The University of Illinois affords students the opportunity to concentrate in areas such as Investing, Global Finance, Banking, Risk Management, and Real Estate.
Earning a degree in finance will prepare students for a plethora of career options in positions such as: financial services sales agent, financial manager, financial analyst, loan officer, actuary, and accountant.
What do you need to make it in a Finance program?
Finance majors need to possess strong quantitative skills and excel in communication and collaboration. Enjoying a competitive (and not necessarily friendly) atmosphere is also an important personality trait. Taking a rigorous load of advanced high school math courses will put students at a great advantage as they begin their college career.
Your Finance College Checklist:
- Is my desired area of concentration offered within the finance major?
- Are independent projects or independent research required as part of the degree?
- Since a large number of individuals in the finance field hold advanced degrees, how do graduate schools view the undergraduate institutions you are considering?
- How is your prospective college viewed by employers at major national and global financial firms?
- What internship opportunities are available to undergraduates? Is the location of your school ideal for landing such opportunities?
- Does your prospective college accept AP credits or dual-enrollment credits that will satisfy intro-level coursework?
- How do graduates fair on certification exams such as the Chartered Financial Analyst or Certified Financial Planning licensure tests?
The Top Finance Colleges & Universities
Finance-related jobs can be competitive and finding the right college and program is often key to landing a good position. Schools that are held in particularly high regard by professionals, employers and students include: Baruch College, Bentley University, and the University of Pennsylvania. For a complete list of College Transitions Top Finance Colleges and Universities, click here.
*College lists are compiled on the basis of counselor interviews, guide books, exhaustive internet searches (of college and departmental websites), and data provided by The College Board and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).