Top Financial Engineering Colleges
While it’s much easier to locate master’s programs in this area of concentration, existing undergraduate programs in financial engineering (sometimes called computational finance), will provide a multidisciplinary experience that will include exposure to economic theory, advanced mathematics, computer programming, and engineering methods and principals. Sound rigorous? It is. You’ll take courses such as: Analysis of Algorithms, Applied Integer Programming, Global Capital Markets, Data Analytics and Python, Calculus, and Ordinary Differential Equations.
Earning a degree in finance will prepare students for a host of career options in areas such as: securities, banking, asset management firms, hedge funds, or private equity.
What do you need to make it in a Financial Engineering program?
Financial engineering majors are known as “quants,” thus it is little surprise that mathematical aptitude is a must for success in this field of study. Because computer programming is also required proficiency in languages such as Java, C++, Python, C#, or MATLAB. Taking a rigorous load of advanced high school math courses and AP Computer Science will put students at a great advantage as they begin their college career.
Your Financial Engineering College Checklist:
- Does your prospective college have a fully-equipped financial systems lab and trading room?
- Since a large number of individuals in the financial engineering field hold advanced degrees, how do graduate schools view the undergraduate institutions you are considering?
- How is your prospective college viewed by employers at major national and global financial firms?
- What internship opportunities are available to undergraduates? Is the location of your school ideal for landing such opportunities (i.e. New York City)?
- Does your prospective college accept AP credits or dual-enrollment credits that will satisfy intro-level coursework?
- Do the faculty have impressive academic and industry experience?
The Top Financial Engineering Colleges & Universities
Financial engineering jobs can be competitive and finding the right college and program is often key to landing a good position. Schools that are held in particularly high regard by professionals, employers and students include: the Columbia University, Princeton University, and NYU. For a complete list of College Transitions Top Animal Science Colleges and Universities, click here.
*College lists are compiled on the basis of counselor interviews, guide books, exhaustive internet searches (of college and departmental websites), and data provided by The College Board and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).