Top Management Information Systems Colleges
As a Management Information Systems (MIS) major, you’ll learn how to master the networks, software, and hardware behind powerful data management systems used by large business and organizations. Along the way, you’ll have the opportunity to sharpen specific areas of expertise. For example Baylor University offers upper level courses in: Programming, Database, Networking, Systems Analysis and Design, IT Project Management, and Cyber Security. Carnegie Mellon affords students the chance to pick an area of concentration such as: Business/Enterprise Systems, Social & Global Systems, or Quantitative Analysis and Research Methods.
Earning a degree in MIS will prepare students for careers in a wide including: database administrator, computer systems analyst, data communications analyst, software applications developer, and information technology project manager.
What do you need to make it in a Management Information Systems program?
MIS majors must have a strong foundation in mathematics that includes calculus and statistics. Unsurprisingly, proficiency with the basics of computer programming and networking are necessary for success in an MIS program. Because this field involves solving problems and dealing with customers/co-workers on a regular basis, interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate as part of a team are also a plus.
Your Management Information Systems College Checklist:
- Is a senior research project required?
- Do they offer my particular concentration area of interest within the MIS discipline?
- How connected is the school's career services center to top tech companies and multinational corporations?
- What is the professional background of the faculty?
- Do they have the most up-to-date computers and technology that help prepare students for the cutting edge aspects of the field?
- What internship opportunities exist at or near the college/university?
- How do graduate programs in MIS and related areas (such as Computer Science) view your prospective undergraduate institution?
The Top Management Information Systems Colleges & Universities
Management Information Systems is a competitive field and finding the right college and program is often key to landing a good job. Schools that are held in particularly high regard by professionals, employers and students include MIT, the University of Minnesota—Twin Cities and the University of Arizona. For a complete list of College Transitions Top Management Information Systems Colleges and Universities, click here.
*College lists are compiled on the basis of counselor interviews, guide books, exhaustive internet searches (of college and departmental websites), and data provided by The College Board and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).