Haverford_smallPage Updated: December 18, 2015

Location: Haverford, Pennsylvania

Does your institution admit undocumented students?


Do you feel that your institution creates a welcoming and inclusive environment where undocumented students would feel wanted and valued on campus?


When completing the question on the application regarding citizenship, is there an option to select “non-citizen” or “Other (Non-US)” and if not, should they leave the question blank? Is a blank field permitted when completing an online application?

Haverford College is a Common App member institution and students may select the “Other (Non-US)” option in the citizenship field.

Do you recommend that undocumented students disclose their immigration status in the application, including essays or counselor/teacher recommendations?


For residency and tuition purposes, how does your institution treat undocumented students? (i.e., international, in-state, out-of-state, etc.)


Does your institution offer institutional aid or any type of merit/talent scholarships to undocumented students?


How would an undocumented student apply for need-based aid at your institution? Are they required to complete a CSS Profile or an institutional financial aid application?

Students should submit the CSS Profile. Haverford’s CSS code is 2289.

Haverford can typically provide funding for three or four international students (who are not US citizens or permanent residents) in each entering class. As you might imagine, the competition for these few spots is very keen, and the aid we provide is all based on financial need. If you apply for financial aid and are admitted, the College will meet 100% of your demonstrated financial need, but we do not offer special scholarships based on academic merit. These students, who have applied for aid and who have need, are chosen from the Regular Decision group of applicants. The decision is based on merit, but not on how much or how little you or your family could contribute toward the costs of your education.

Do you require that students submit a social security number on your admissions application? Can students use zeros to complete this requirement? (i.e., 000-00-0000)

Students can leave this field blank or complete with zeros.

Does your institution offer legal support to help students gain legal status by the time they graduate?


If there is a specific person in the admissions office who is knowledgeable about the issues pertaining to undocumented students and can serve as a resource for students, families and high school counselors, please list his/her information below:

Sonia Giebel
Admission Counselor
[email protected]