Top BS/Dental Medicine Schools
While your friends and siblings quivered with fear at the mere mention of “going to the dentist,” you were instead filled with fascination and a strange sense of excitement. In high school, you aced through AP Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus and developed a growing interest in dental medicine as a future career. There’s a 99%-100% chance that, at the conclusion of your undergraduate education, you will be submitting applications to dental school. If this sounds like you, then you may wish to accelerate your pathway to being called “Doc” and consider a BS/Dental Medicine program.
What is a BS/Dental Medicine program?
Highly-qualified high schoolers have the opportunity to concurrently gain acceptance to an undergraduate institution as well as an affiliated dental school. This can lead to a completion of a bachelor’s degree and a degree in dental medicine in just 6-7 years. Sometimes the undergrad and medical programs are part of the same university (i.e. Temple, NYU, BU), while other times the BS/DDS program is a partnership between an undergraduate school and an affiliated medical school (i.e. Case Western Reserve University’s School of Dental Medicine’s partnership with eight undergraduate institutions).
- Save on time and tuition dollars by shaving years off of your educational pathway.
- While you will typically still have to score decently on the Dental Admissions Test and maintain a reasonable undergraduate GPA, students already conditionally admitted to combined programs face a less harsh admissions process.
- Your curricular choices will not be guided by trying to impress dental schools.
- Enjoy the benefits of a rich, liberal arts education while still meeting requirements for dental school.
- Less overall stress (see points above)
The Top BS/DDS Programs
Dentistry is a competitive field and finding the right college and program is often key to landing a good job. Schools offering BS/DDS programs that are held in particularly high regard by professionals, employers and students include: Temple University, Boston University, and NYU. For a complete list of College Transitions Top BS/DDS Programs, click here.
*College lists are compiled on the basis of counselor interviews, guide books, exhaustive internet searches (of college and departmental websites), and data provided by The College Board and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).