2022-23 Georgetown Transfer Acceptance Rate, Requirements, and Application Deadline
In the eyes of most, Georgetown University is the premier Jesuit school in the country. Located in Washington D.C., this university is the number one destination point for many high school superstars from around the globe. As such, acceptance rates have dipped closer to the single-digits in recent years. This leaves many aspiring Hoyas stranded outside the university’s gates. Yet, this does not have to be the final outcome, as Georgetown does accept between 80 and 300 transfer applicants each year. The following blog will reveal the Georgetown transfer acceptance rate as well other essential pieces of information like the Georgetown transfer deadline, the requirements/checklist for applicants, the Georgetown transfer decision date and much more.
Georgetown Transfer Acceptance Rate
Below we present the most current available Georgetown University transfer acceptance rate as well as historical data.
In the fall of 2021, there were 2,655 transfer applicants and 86 individuals were accepted. This means that the Georgetown transfer acceptance rate is 3.2%. If we break this down by gender, the acceptance rates are as follows:
- Male transfer applicants: 4.1%
- Female transfer applicants: 2.6%
When trying to get the complete picture on how difficult it is to transfer into a given school, it is important to also look at historical data. Many schools have wild fluctuations in transfer acceptance rate from year to year. As you can see, the Georgetown transfer acceptance rate has indeed experienced significant swings in recent years, ranging from 3% to 17%.
Historical transfer rates are as follows:
Georgetown Transfer Deadline
The university only offers a fall transfer option. The Georgetown transfer deadline for fall applicants is March 1.
Georgetown Transfer Requirements
The Georgetown transfer requirements are as follows:
- Complete the Georgetown Transfer Application. This school does not use the Common App.
- Secondary School Report
- Official college transcripts
- SAT or ACT scores
- Dean’s Report
- Mid-Term Report (recommended)
- A Professor’s Report
- Optional alumni interview
Students who have the best chance to gain admission to Georgetown have done the following:
- Completed at least 12 college credits.
- Earned exceptional grades in their first year at a community college or 4-year university.
- Have completed relevant coursework for their intended program of study.
Georgetown Transfer GPA
The average college GPA for admitted transfers has ranged from 3.79 to 3.89 in recent years. Clearly, having a 3.8 or above is desired and the closer you can get to a 4.0, the better.
Georgetown Transfer Writing Supplement
All transfer applicants must respond to required essay prompts:
Compose and attach on separate pages two brief essays (approximately one page each) on the topics given below.
- As Georgetown is a diverse community, the Admissions Committee would like to know more about you in your own words. Please submit a brief essay, either personal or creative, which you feel best describes you. If transferring from a four-year institution, please include your reasons for transferring.
Students select their school of interest and answer the corresponding prompt:
- Georgetown College: What does it mean to you to be educated? How might Georgetown College help you achieve this aim? (Applicants to the Sciences and Mathematics or the Faculty of Languages and Linguistics should address their chosen course of study.)
- School of Nursing: Describe the factors that have influenced your interest in studying health care. Please specifically address your interest in studying nursing.
- School of Health: Describe the factors that have influenced your interest in studying health care. Please specifically address your intended major (Global Health, Health Care Management & Policy or Human Science).
- Walsh School of Foreign Service: Describe the development of your interest in international affairs and how you believe that pursuing your studies in the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service would serve your future goals.
- McDonough School of Business: The McDonough School of Business is a national and global leader in providing graduates with essential ethical, analytical, financial and global perspectives. Please discuss your motivations for studying business at Georgetown.
Georgetown Transfer Decision Date?
The Georgetown transfer decision date for fall applicants is June 1. Admitted students then have until June 15 to accept the offer.
Final Thoughts – Georgetown University Transfer Acceptance Rate
In evaluating the more than 2,500 transfer applications per year, the admissions committee employs a holistic process. They recommend a B+ average or higher for serious consideration, an assertion backed up by recent data.
The Georgetown application will cost you $75 and a significant investment of time. This is particularly true since they do not use the Common App and require multiple essays. Still, all of this effort can bear fruit, especially in years where the acceptance rate is more generous.
If you are looking for information on how to apply to Georgetown as a first year student, you may find the following blogs to be of interest:
Those searching for application info on other institutions may wish to visit our Dataverse pages:
Dave has over a decade of professional experience that includes work as a teacher, high school administrator, college professor, and independent educational consultant. He is a co-author of the books The Enlightened College Applicant (Rowman & Littlefield, 2016) and Colleges Worth Your Money (Rowman & Littlefield, 2020).
Filter By Category
- 2-Year Colleges
- Application Strategies
- Big Picture
- College Essay
- College Search/Knowledge
- College Success
- Costs & Financial Aid
- Gap Year
- Graduate School Admissions
- High School Success
- High Schools
- Medical School Admissions
- Navigating the Admissions Process
- Summer Programs