2022-23 UCSD Transfer Acceptance Rate, Requirements, and Application Deadline
If you want to attend UC San Diego as a freshman, you’ll need to possess close to a 4.0 cumulative high school GPA. However, if you feel short of perfection in high school, there is still a viable path toward becoming a Triton. In fact, an astounding 12,000+ transfer applicants are offered that chance every year and the UC San Diego acceptance rate is higher than you might guess. This blog will share the UCSD transfer acceptance rate as well as other essential pieces of information like the UCSD transfer deadline, the requirements/checklist for applicants, the UCSD transfer decision date, and much more.
UCSD Transfer Acceptance Rate
Below we present the most current available UCSD transfer acceptance rate as well as historical data.
In the fall of 2022, the UCSD transfer acceptance rate was 57.2%. In the previous cycle, UC San Diego received 22,501 transfer applications and accepted 12,327 (a 54.7% clip).
That year, the acceptance rate broken down by gender was:
- Male transfer applicants: 49.3%
- Female transfer applicants: 60.4%
When trying to get the complete picture of how difficult it is to transfer into a given school, it is important to also look at historical data. Many schools have wild fluctuations in transfer acceptance rate from year to year. Yet this is not the case here. As you can see, UC San Diego is pretty steadily in the 49%-57% range.
Historical transfer rates are as follows:
UCSD Transfer Deadline
For every academic program, the UCSD transfer deadline is November 30. The application window opens on August 1, so you can begin completing all materials at that time. The FAFSA deadline is March 2.
UCSD Transfer Requirements
All students must submit to the following items as part of their UC San Diego application:
- A University of California Application
- Official college transcripts
- Final high school transcripts
- Supplemental materials (for some majors)
In addition to meeting the transfer requirements, you’ll need to have achieved/earned the following:
- Minimum 60 UC-transferable semester (90 UC-transferable quarter units)
- Overall minimum GPA of 3.0 in all transferable college-level coursework
- Lower Division Major Preparation Courses
- Completed Transfer General Education Requirements
We recommend thoroughly reviewing the UC San Diego Transfer Admission Guide.
UC San Diego Transfer Acceptance by Major
Here are some of the transfer acceptance rates for some of the most popular majors at the University of California San Diego:
UCSD Transfer GPA
According to the university, the mid-50% GPA range for enrolled transfers was 3.48-3.91. In our experience, students with a 3.7 or above can make a very strong case for admission.
University of California San Diego Essays
Required UC San Diego Essay:
Please describe how you have prepared for your intended major, including your readiness to succeed in your upper-division courses once you enroll at the university.
Choose 3 of the following 7 questions (in addition to the mandatory prompt above):
- Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
- Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistically, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side.
- What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?
- Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity or worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced.
- Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?
- What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?
- Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you a strong candidate for admissions to the University of California?
UCSD Transfer Decision Date
The UCSD transfer decision date on a rolling basis between March and April.
Final Thoughts – UC San Diego University Transfer Acceptance Rate
The mission of the admissions staff, in their own words, is “to identify and admit students who are fully prepared to excel in our challenging academic environment. We’re looking for students who represent strong academic achievement, exceptional personal talent and the broad diversity of abilities, personal experience and backgrounds characteristic of California.”
This school only admits transfer students at the junior level.
If you are applying to study Visual Arts, Music, or Theatre & Dance, you will have the option to submit a portfolio or audition video.
If you are looking for information on how to apply to UC San Diego as a first-year student, you may find the following blog to be of interest:
Those searching for application info on other institutions may wish to visit our Dataverse pages/blogs:
Dave has over a decade of professional experience that includes work as a teacher, high school administrator, college professor, and independent educational consultant. He is a co-author of the books The Enlightened College Applicant (Rowman & Littlefield, 2016) and Colleges Worth Your Money (Rowman & Littlefield, 2020).